Slideshow

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Getting My Venice Legs

So Venice is definitely the most beautiful place I have ever stayed.  That being said there is a definite adjustment period.  These first few days I have had to fight against my instincts when it comes to turning down narrow passageways and walking along deserted streets.  The city has no cars, only boats and feet.  (Come to think of it I haven't even seen any bicycles.)   Also people seem to all be in bed by 10:30 so the streets are completely empty when we head to the ferry at 11 or 12.  There are a lot of dark alleys and walkways that go through buildings, but then they will open up into big piazzas or bridges.  There is also water everywhere.  I don't know if I could count the number of bridges we cross just walking to a nearby gelato stand.  Its also still hard seeing everything in Italian, in fact I have started to find it strange when things are in English.  I am slowly remembering my language skills, but many of the Venetians will respond in English even if my question was completely in Italian.  I mean, could you give me a chance?


However, don't think that I am complaining, I love it here even after a mere 3 days (giorni).  The island (San Servolo) is about a 3-5 minute boat ride from Piazza San Marco with its gorgeous Basilica and the Dogia's Palace (Which is half covered by a huge lottery ad while they remodel....)  The people seem quite friendly and helpful with directions considering the roads are all very short and twisted, so addresses aren't much help. 

Ok, well I am starving, so I am going to grab a panini.  I will write more later. Ciao!
Baci,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment