Slideshow

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Cold Italy

Today was freezing.  I feel like I have never been colder in my entire life as I was walking to church today.  (I'm sure that isn't true but I was certainly shivering.)  The wind felt as if it would blow me away if I hadn't eaten my weight in pasta yesterday.

I have also been coughing up a storm for the past 2 days, so today was spent between my bed and my computer. I didn't leave my room except for church and dinner, and although part of me felt guilty at the thought of "wasting" a day in Italy, all it took was one look outside at the people being blown away like leaves in a hurricane.

Mass was not any easier to understand.  Actually it was more difficult because I didn't have the little translation cheat sheet for the readings, so it was particularly incomprehensible.  I basically understood the many times the priest said "Ascoltate" (or listen) and I would obey, only to be put in a state of utter confusion as to what he was saying.

Dinner was nice, we all went to the cafeteria and sat and chatted about the weekend.  Some people had just come back from trips to other places (Amsterdam and Milan) so we got first hand advice on our future travel plans.  My only real addition to the conversation was the fact that you can take guided tours of our island, which used to be a mental institution for the wealthy.  I am not sure I want to find out that my history classroom was once the site of an electro-shock therapy room or something even more frightening.... but at the same time it is kind of intriguing.

Anyway, I have some Italian homework to get to.  So ciao for now!
<3 Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment