Slideshow

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Irish in Italy

So it is 2:26am on the morning of (well technically after) one of the most interesting St. Patrick's days I have ever had.  I take that back, THE most interesting St. Patrick's Day.

It all started this morning.  I woke up around 9am and went for a walk through Venice.  I had time to explore because my Italian class was canceled, and my next one wasn't until 1:30pm.  So I got lost on purpose.  A word on getting lost in Venice: its both easy and hard.  Easy in that any street you haven't turned down before will lead you somewhere new.  But hard in that you can pretty easily find your way back to a main thoroughfare if you walk far enough.

So I was "lost" until I found a little green park area, which are rare in Venice.  I walked through it and witnessed some teacher giving her little kids a class with a headset microphone, outside of the playground.  If I were them I don't think I could've stood it.  And then, over the horizon, was the bridge that leads to the train station (aka I knew where I was.)

I decided to walk on the other side of the canal from the train station, and soon I saw throngs of people staring across the canal.  I expected to see the train station on fire or something, but instead I caught a glimpse of Johnny Depp being filmed.  I stood there for a good 15 minutes and watched them film the scene again, but as I reached down for my camera I realized it was at home charging!!!  So I settled for texting all my friends, while I was watching Johnny and Ang.  And then I went to the grocery store.

The rest of my day was much less interesting.  I saw a police boat driving backwards and got whistled at by some construction workers, and tried "Crazy Pizza" which was crazy average.  The night, however, was when it got fun again.

Ryanne, Meg, and I had planned a VIU dance before we realized that it was St. Patty's day. We knew we couldn't cancel, so instead we just bumped the hours up and put on our dancin shoes.  The school provided us with an empty classroom that had kickass speakers.  So Meg made a playlist while Ryanne and I set up tables.  People started coming around 8:30 and it ended up going until 11:30, when there was a ferry to San Marco.  We had a blast!!  A lot of people came, and the music was loud and fun.  Plus, Venice isn't really a clubbing city, so we made our own club.

Like I said before, we left the island at 11:30 to head to the Irish pub for a pint before the end of St. Patty's.  We met up with a bunch of people who were already there enjoying the gaelic holiday...  We met one kid, who will remain nameless, from Arkansas who's friend had asked us to go out and get him.  At first he seemed pretty nice and cute, but when he opened his mouth he officially became a creep.  Every other word was about how "awesome" he was, and he kept talking like a robot to cover up his southern accent.  I finally told him to stop talking like that and asked him if he ever said "that dog don't hunt."  He'd never heard that before, but immediately used it in regards to almost everything said.  It was more than annoying.  I was worried he' follow me onto the boat (considering he said he was willing to swim back from the island), but luckily my friend Luuk grabbed me and was like "its time to go..."  It was an interesting encounter....and he didnt even buy me a drink!

So yeah, that was basically my St. Patrick's day.  It was quite eventful, and now it is most definitely bedtime.  Buona Notte!
<3 allie

No comments:

Post a Comment